Thursday, January 6, 2011

New Year’s Resolutions

resolution


    Making resolutions for the New Year to me is a cop out. Usually they get broken and we don’t feel guilty for doing so. Now, if we were to make a conscience effort to make a life style change throughout the year and we didn’t follow through, the guilt would be greater. It’s all in the way we perceive things I guess. I think many of us make these resolutions with the thought that if they are broken it is okay because resolutions are made to be broken. That is why I am not making one.

    I have decided though to make some major changes in my life beginning this year. For one, I am going to be more patient. It seems that everyday I wake up, there is a new challenge heading straight ahead towards me. It is usually not a good challenge, usually one that requires me to take many aspirins once it is completed. I get about three of these challenges a day, sometimes more. Yeah, they make me a stronger person, but I am seriously getting tired of them. What I have been doing is sorting out and prioritizing these “challenges.” It is like the old saying “Don’t sweat the small stuff.” That is just what I am going to do.



I am not going to care if the following happen:


• There are dirty dishes in the sink

• There is dust on my T.V. (It’s a piece of shit anyway)

• Someone’s dirty laundry is all over the floor

• The carpet needs vacuuming

• Overdue bills

• The kids arguing about stupid shit as usual


What I AM going to care about is the following:


• There is a roof over me and my kids’ heads

• There is food in the fridge

• All my bills are paid, whether or not they are current does not matter anymore.

• I tuck my kids in at night

• I can feed my kids

• I am able to help them with their homework

• I listen to their day

• I listen to their fears, dreams, and anything else they want to tell me. And I will look at them when they talk

• I will actively listen to my kids and not think about anything else.

• I will love my children unconditionally, which I always have but now I am going to show it more often.

So, since I have been doing this, my house is a wreck, I learned more about my kids, and I feel a lot better physically and mentally.

1 comment :

Anonymous said...

Very nice.